For a complete list of academic talks, outreach work, membership of professional organizations, and additional media, please see my Curriculum vitae.
As a scientist it is my job to seek avenues for exploration and untold stories around every corner. Enthralled in my youth by the artful prose of wildlife presenters such as Sir David Attenborough, Chris and Martin Kratt, and David Suzuki, and inspired by a generation of online content creators who pioneered an era limited only by their imagination, I’ve made it my mission to share these stories to wider audiences.
My goals are two-fold: (1) to foster a personal connection with young audiences showing that science, and the diverse range of scientists that are pushing the boundaries of global knowledge, can be a lot of fun and (2) to give an honest portrayal of the mindset and processes by which scientific discoveries are made. Through in-person presentations, audio-visual media, and the power of the written word, I aim to inspire future generations of young scientists to integrate critical-thinking and the scientific method into their day-to-day lives and perhaps pursue a career in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM).
Select Academic Talks
- Female Mate Selection in the Trinidadian Guppy (Poecilia reticulata). North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology, Feb 24, 2020 Nirjuli, India
- Communicating Conservation Concerns by Story Telling. International Symposium on India’s Biodiversity: Origin, Evolution, and Conservation, Feb 4, 2020 Bangalore, India
- Public Speaking: Giving Effective Talks Inside and Outside the Ivory Tower. Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment , Dec 4, 2019 Bangalore, India
- Effects of Elevated Background Predation Risk on Female Mate Choice and Offspring Behaviour In a Tropical Fish Species. Pondicherry University, Nov 12, 2019 Pondicherry, India
- Female Mate Selection and Courtship Under Elevated Background Predation Risk in an Invasive Tropical Aquatic Species. Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation Annual Meeting, Aug 3, 2019 Antananarivo, Madagascar
- Effects of Elevated Background Predation Risk on Mate Selection and Courtship in an Invasive Tropical Fish. International Congress for Conservation Biology, Jul 22, 2019 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Bringing the lesser-known stories of the earth’s plants and animals to light, all in the palm of your hand. Read more…
From life history strategies to the Red Queen hypothesis, think of this as the class you wish you’d taken in college. Read more…
Wonder what happens when maggots grow inside your face? Are mutant fruit tasty? Find the answers to these questions and more. Read more…
Presentations & Workshops
From scaring fish to teaching scientists how to communicate outside the ivory tower, I’ve had the good fortune to speak around the world. Read more…
My various musings as I continue along the path of a scholar. Read more…
Stay tuned for news on an upcoming project.